Sunday, July 25, 2010

A crown of many thorns

I decided to repaint and redecorate my dining room. The old light fixture was popular in the early eighties. The paint job was poor and the walls had many nail holes that needed to be repaired. The crown molding in the room didn't fit with the decor at all.

So as my first reno project in my new home, I thought this would be an easy room to do. Repaint, buy a new light fixture, buy and hang new crown molding.

For the most part, it was. Priming the walls was a must as the previous paint color was a Cranberry red that just hit you in the face when you went into the room. I chose a terra cotta color which would be a color a 1920s home would have, but with a modern touch. The color has turned out great and along with the curtains and other elements, works for the room.

After painting the dining room, hanging a new light fixture, and new curtains, it was time to hang the crown molding. I am many things and many things I am not, and I soon discovered that carpentry is not one thing God blessed me with. There are many things to consider in hanging crown molding. Make sure you have the right tools. You will need a miter box and coping saw. In addition, you will need to make sure that as you hang the crown molding to learn how to measure and make your cuts. It's also important to make sure the crown molding lines up properly top to bottom. You can make up for gaps in the walls and ceilings by caulking and doing a little touch-up paint.








After my second attempt to hang the crown molding, I've discovered it's more difficult than I realized. I have a few pieces hanging, but as you can see, I've messed up a few cuts and placement. So I have taken a break from hanging so I can reevaluate what I need to do and how to correct some of my mistakes.


Overall, this project, including supplies, has cost less than $500.00. I will need to save all the money I can because my next project is the kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment